Monday, March 7, 2011

Filming Walk My Dog!

I was called about filming Walk My Dog by a Croatian journalist. Ivanka called me to ask if she could feature Walk My Dog as her main news story, since they don't have pet sitters or dog walkers in Croatia and hopes to use it for her TV station when she returns. She is doing a short week-long course at Cardiff's Thomson Institute, a media charity training students how to use cameras to make their own stories.

I was happy to help, and we had some rainy fun trying to keep the dogs from sniffing, then knocking over the camera equipment! One of the dogs would keep going up to the lens to have a closer look, then leaving minute droplets of water over it! I didn't realise how long it took just to get a few minutes of good footage.
Clearly I am no wannabe film star, although I suspect the dogs were Hollywood hopefuls - playing up to the camera. I spent about twenty minutes (or so it seemed to my aching arm and the dogs' delight) throwing a stick in slow motion, and put on my waterproofs three times, by which time it had almost stopped raining.
The mud was omnipresent though, so I am sure it all looked quite unpleasant on film. As usual Maple was doing her best to find the deepest pools of mud to wade through, she managed to coat her head in a muddy wash of water before it was time to go back, and was that a deliberately mischevious look she gave me after the initial plunge? I am sure she does not do this when she is with her owner! I'll post the link to the footage when I get it in the right format. If I get 2 and a half minutes of fame does that count for my 15 minutes, or do I get another 12.5 on top of that? What happens if it is shown repeatedly on Croatian tv - does it all add up? I shall wait see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.