Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Poodle rockin'

I have just uploaded the Gorky's song Poodle rockin' to my mobile, so whenever my dog phone rings I am treated to a cacophony of tuneful barking. Better than what I had before - the theme to Dog Tanian and the Three Muskahounds.

I have a new client, a poodle. She is very cute, and sports a fun-sized black perm, a little shaggy, which her owner informs me is the 'puppy cut.' Ahh. She is a bouncy eight months old. I like when the dogs are happy in their hair. I was walking a dog the other weekend who had just been for the snip (I mean a hair cut) and seemed all the chirpier for it. More mobile, and far lighter, he scampered around with a new lease of life.
In America, the poodle became so unpopular in the 1920s it almost died out - can you imagine a poodle-parlour free world? Yet the poodle was originally a tough, butch breed, a water dog renowned for its duck hunting skills, without a bow in sight. The name is from the German for puddle (pfudel), and those little puffs of fancily trimmed fur at ankle and tail, as well as the No. 1 close shave on the upper thighs were first of all practical - designed for protection and mobility when hunting and swimming.

Yet Brand Poodle was relaunched in France - retiring their oh-so 16th Century practical dog tags for coiffed treeses, sculpted locks and multicoloured fur coats, more elaborate than their owners. They went on to become the ultimate fashion accessory for the French aristocracy in the 17th and 18th Century.
Come into the 2000s and it seems the Poodle needs another rebrand, to shed this silly skin and back away from the stigma of the silly haircuts. It's not going too well. Take one random poodle story. Best of Breed winner at last year's Welsh Kennel Club show, La Marka Lemerle Oscar Wilde (ahem). Disqualified after being found wearing hairspray. It's an illegal substance now - banned by the Kennel Club. The equivalent of steroids for canines. In the past, dog owners used to do all sorts to preen their pooches prior to ringside performance - add chalk, hair mousse or shine, but alas! no longer! So, Wilde's owner is screaming sabotage! He said: "I'm not saying there wasn't hairspray on my dog, but I didn't put it there."
So, we are left with a mystery on our paws, who was the elusive hairspraying menace - and when will he strike again? Perhaps it was another dog.
I wouldn't happen in a class of Bulldogs.

No comments: